Sunday, August 23, 2009

My computer has slowed to a snails pace. How can I correct this problem?

I recently installed Norton Internet Security. Could this be my problem about the computer slowing down? I have DSL but it still runs very slowly. What must I do to correct this? Thank you



My computer has slowed to a snails pace. How can I correct this problem?microsoft



No. It is not Norton. I say this assuming you do not have some completely old computer that has no RAM and no CPU speed. So obviously this would be a queue to check these things. If you are THAT low on resources you would really want to upgrade your system.



The questions to ask yourself are "what exactly is slow"



If it is your internet connection that could be your DSL provider or it could be the websites you are trying to reach.



You can drop to a command promtp and try a ping test or go to a speedtest website like speedguide.net



If you are slow opening programs then you might want to first check that you do not have a virus.. oftentimes when someone is infected and they try to finally install a reliable product the virus will do everything in its power to disable the scanner. You may want to go to the symantec website and do a web based scan. You may also want to force the product to update and perform a complete scan. Spyware and adware can also cause slowing so you may want to get SpyBot S%26D and run that. I would not add a bunch of programs though as it will cause more slowing and the wrong programs can really mess you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment